Thursday, January 12, 2012

Is There a Fire in Your Belly?


Some people are aware of their passions early in life or a gift we have might surface later and become a passion.

When I was in college I took piano lessons, it was short lived. I have passion for music but was not so passionate about practicing the piano. At one point in the semester my teacher invited me to a concert to hear a twelve year old prodigy. When he came on stage and sat down at the piano I noticed that his feet barely touched the peddles, yet he play a most difficult piece of music with a fire in his belly. The passion with which he played, his enthusiasm and spirit were awe inspiring.

Years later our paths crossed again this time in a very different setting. I had gone on to work in a cancer research lab and my boss’s boss was this young piano player’s father.  We were at a party and I remember sitting on the steps talking about how I had seen him in concert several years prior. I said if I were to come back into this life again I would want to be able to express myself musically with the kind of passion he displayed. The irony was that he wanted to be doing the work that I was doing. He wanted to find a cure for cancer!

How do we follow our dreams when we are gifted in many areas? I am passionate about music, it moves me, it soothes me, it takes me to another dimension of my soul, yet I do not play an instrument. I indulge in musical pleasure as often as I can and share this passion with others. I have other passions as well that are fulfilling and I continue to share my gifts and talents with others.

Think about what makes your heart sing and find a way to explore how to bring that thing you are passionate about to fruition. When you do, you’ll find a fire in your belly, then go out and share your gifts and talents with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment